Meet Ivan--Freespirit!


WOW...what a dog!

Just got Ivan from the rescue group tonight. He is all dog...still a puppy at about 11 months, this may have been the first time Ivan has been free.

Like with Mocha, I immediately walked Ivan to establish a bond and to release a tremendous amount of puppy energy. Yet, this is a large, strong puppy that was all over the place.

It is about five hours since Ivan first arrived and he is just now settling down after three walks and a run. With his stitches from being neutered, I will stop the running until they are taken out.

Basically Ivan has to explore EVERYTHING that's not nailed down. He has an e-collar--those big plastic looking things that fit over the dogs head to keep them from picking at their stitches. I took it off for the walks and it is off now as he is resting by my feet under the computer desk.

Ask me how he fits under there?

Ivan isn't shy...anything in his way is either flipped over or brushed aside. He is starting to doze off now, still panting....

Wait...he's up. I tried to lay him on the couch Mocha loved...this dog has such puppy energy, knocking over and sticking his head into everything. Easily 3x the energy Mocha had.


Like a drunk sailor, he just waddles around, walking by the dry food container and grabbing some food, half of which drops to the floor. The thing Ivan does Mocha never even attempted is reaching up on his hind legs and poking at the sink top, oven top, desk...you name it. He has to explore everything.


Maybe it's just first night curiosity. Ivan will need to learn some basic commands or my house is toast.

Ivan seemed to be OK with Sally. He was a little aggressive with the smelling and unlike Mocha does not have much impulse control. He started to eat her food, doesn't respond to NO yet...but no negative aggression. He does however bite at the hands which will need to be controlled. Thanks to Julianne--a most wonderful spirit--she showed me three techniques to deal with this.

I'm just coming out with it...if you want to help sponsor this rescue effort, please do so. A contribution of $10 gets food...like PBS, more $ gets us more for the dogs. No free gifts however...just that good feeling you are helping save dog's lives.

Contact: scampydrums at hotmail. com

Addition: 5:13am Saturday 08/09/08
Let's just say Ivan isn't a deep sleeper!

As I watch him chew my sneaker, he is a very restless sleeper. It might be because of the e-collar. Nevertheless, he was flip flopping constantly. I tried putting him in the crate but he whined and cried and barked...so I let him sleep inside w/the collar on.

Before I took Ivan out for a 4:30am walk, I let Sally out. Ivan immediately ran after her. I am still unsure of their dynamic, but out of nowhere Sally started barking!

The is a HUGE breakthrough! I've maybe heard Sally bark five times in four months. This morning she barked consistently at Ivan. Ivan backed off as he plopped about with his e-collar on. That thing in itself is a comedy routine with him smacking into everything.

This dog has uncontrolled energy and within time he will establish the boundaries and identity robbed him living in a shelter his entire life.

Somehow he wedged himself under my desk and is resting....but for how long???

No comments: