Cha Ching

A word about donations/contributions.

I've been part of going to church for a long time...off and mostly on. There is a terrible rap in today's culture about the "collection plate." If you ever watch an episode of The Simpsons, they rail the Church and religion for seeking money.

Understood.

Now let me square up with those of you who have sent checks or are willing to help out monthly. I will give you exact itemized break downs of where the money goes.

For example, Crazy Ivan needed medication for fleas and allergies causing him to scratch all the time. Because a vet charges at least $45 before a word is spoken and medication usually runs about $50, it's a $100 before I put my car in drive.

There is food which is bought in large quantities at about $30 a bag. A bag lasts about a month for two dogs.

Gas money runs high and this is a legitimate expense for the adoption fairs, picking up dogs, checking for Red Listed dogs at the shelters (Red Listed is a fancy way of saying they are going to kill the dog) like Sally, Mocha, and Ivan...ALL Red Listed dogs on their way to the Big End!

Sally is a special case and a long-term foster, but both Mocha and Ivan are AMAZING dogs. Within a week, both dogs settled down because of consistent walks, food, water, and lots of rub downs! They were given boundaries and love. The results were very quick with both dogs.

These dogs were living with about five other dogs in the shelter, usually hungry (read about Mocha when I got her) and given no exercise or affection...and for many they are in there six months, a year, and even more.

Hey, I'd be cranky too!

Bottom line is the $ goes towards the mission to save the dogs from the kill shelters, rehabilitate them with their foster parents, and then make them available for adoption to great homes. That's the cycle.

The comment I get a lot is;
If the dog is in a shelter there
must be something wrong with it!


There is something wrong...it's irresponsible people who abuse, mistreat and abandon the dogs on the streets of Los Angeles. That's the problem!

The volunteers all work full time jobs and give their time to this mission. I've never met so many people who are so generous with their time and energy.

Southern California has a reputation of being fake, shallow, and plastic...well, it can be, but there are GREAT people with big hearts here and everywhere if you know where to look. Dog rescue is just one such place.

Off my soapbox...


.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey man, preach it. Don't apologize for doing what you need to do. I will make a one time donation for now. I can't do the monthly thing, but every bit helps right? No need to send me any breakdowns...just do the right thing. You seem sincere and upfront which I like.

Anonymous said...

I agree...I have dogs as well and love them so much. This is a great blog. I enjoy the stories. I'm retired and my dogs are my kids and fmaily. I support you. All the best, Lauri

Joe said...

Thanks to both of you. Yes...this is a good thing to do for sure. Money is an issue, but imo, God will work things out. Yet, effort is always needed and being smart about the process.

Funny in my case how God used dogs to wake me up and heal some personal wounds.

Hope you come back to the blog.

Cheers.