Who Am I?

I am a former elementary school teacher that has taught since 1992. I've written a book titled, Inside the Classroom for parents. Playing drums and piano have been a strong hobby since childhood. My education led me to degrees in psychology, theology, and a professional teaching credential.

This dog rescue business fell upon me suddenly.

I had a dog as a kid I did not particularly like. Since then I have not been too interested in dogs, in fact their slobbering was gross and when I visited someone who had a dog I stayed away.

I was attacked my a doberman pincher when I had a paper route as a kid.

I didn't hate dogs, just never gave them much thought.

A few years ago I was in a pet store my friend managed and wandered over to the small animal section. I have several tropical fish tanks going and like fish, but was drawn to the hamsters. My first little guy was named Chewy.

Chewy got away and I never found him again.

Then there was TOTO.

TOTO died from diarrhea

Next there was Amp.

Like Chewy, Amp got away and I never found him.

That was it for hamsters! Boy...they ARE cute...haven't seen these pics in some time.

A year passed and I was thinking about getting a cat. I found a cat in 9th grade after little league practice. I took the kitten home and nursed it. CJ was his name. After returning from vacation with the family CJ was missing. This negatively impacted my friendship with the neighbor boy who watched the house and fed CJ. I never really believed CJ ran away.

Looking for a cat on craigslist I decided to look at some dogs. I was introduced to the term Red Listed. Up until this time the only dog in my life was Sparky. I fell in love with Sparky. Amazing dog, so full of life. Great balance of hunter and sweetie.

Sparky is owned by my good buddy and his kids love her. She was a dog found wandering the neighborhood until my buddy took her in. Sparky was taken!

Because of Sparky I looked at dog ads for the fun of it and when I saw a Red Listed pup I called. It was a spontaneous thing. I ended up getting Sally and that was it.

Since Sally, I've had three more rescues that were Red Listed which means they will be killed. When discussing the term Red Listed to others I use the word KILL on purpose. You don't put to sleep or lay down a healthy vibrant dog. Those terms are for dogs too old to live anymore.

The rescue dogs are going to be killed unless someone fosters or adopts them. Simple as that.

I have been amazed at the people working for rescue groups. I've yet to meet another man, so it is women who seem to be leading the way here.

All of them work full time jobs in various positions and not only give of their time, but open their wallets to supply food, medical treatment, boarding...they have a passion for the animals that is undeniable.

I have been humbled and challenged by their dedication and selflessness.

I have no problem asking for financial support on this blog because of what I witness and experience in dog rescue. Small amounts help greatly. If every reader of this blog gave $10 it would support so many Red Listed dogs.

Unfortunately, most Americans have become tired of the "if everyone just gave..." argument. Myself as well!

I realize this world is a giant commercial trying to get our attention to buy something. I guess it's a matter of conviction and heart.

I've been a selfish person most of my life so I will never guilt one into giving. I will present the concerns when appropriate like at an adoption fair or on the blog now and then.

There's nothing like holding one of the dogs however to truly understand their amazing love for us. It's hard to put into words. I'll let the poets and songwriters do that.

That's about it for now. I am learning a lot about dogs, nutrition, and training.

Hope you hang around and come back!

Best,
Joe

Crazy Ivan--my rescue adopted 8/08








3 comments:

Isis M. Nocturne said...

Mr. V, is that you? My most beloved 4/5 split class teacher from Valencia Valley?

This wonderful cause is what you're doing now! WOW! I'm so happy you found something that you can love doing so much!

I'm hoping that it's you, because I want you to know that the Sachs family still talks about you and remembers you very fondly. We'd love to see you again!

Your favorite bookworm Weneki,

Wendy Sachs

Renee said...

Hi Joe....

It's good to read your blog on the dogs. I'm not surprised that you're so good at dog rescuing because I know what a great guy you are.

All the best and continued success with all of it.

Renee V.

AK9 said...

Hello Joe,
Just found your Blog quite by accident and was very impressed by what you had to say. Are you still active ? Would like to help.

Alexandra