Bliss & Blisters of Dog Walkin'

I figured it was better to blog here than confront...cause my nature is to confront and attack.

95% of the people I meet dog walkin' are great. I've met so many wonderful neighbors over the past six months I've been fostering dogs.

YET...like life in general, there's always stiff necks who have something stuck deep inside. I ran into one of those neighbors this morning.

I've been living in my house for ten years and not once has this neighbor ever offered a simple "Hi." He has the most meticulous lawn, drives a nice BMW 5 series, house is probably the most attractive on the block and he's a grumpy old man.

Ever assess someone's personality just on their body language? This "guy" did not disappoint. I always knew he was one of these tight fisted guys who are control freaks with no joy in their lives.

As I type I want to knock on his door so bad and get into it with him. This is a problem I have to work on. It's my pride.

I thought I'd take Zoey on her first walk in the neighborhood. She started out good and then puttered out. I couldn't get her past three houses.

As I was walking back, she stopped on Mr Lovely's lawn. There are no sidewalks on my block, so it's the hot pavement or walking the lawn--that small section that comes to meet the street.

Just so happens as we are standing on the lawn, he checks his mail....and without hesitation mumbles;

This isn't a dog park you know!

About a month ago I had my first run-in with a neighbor several blocks away and instead of walking away, I sarcastically shot a few verbal jabs. This escalated things to unhealthy heights.

Walking away today was one of the hardest things I've done since. I so want to confront this guy and get in his face and blow him away verbally.

I would actually enjoy this very much. I keep hearing his voice in my head...This isn't a dog park you know, this isn't a dog park you know...

Geez...Zoey is a little puppy. How hard can your heart be to not be moved by this little girl?

OK...I need to remind myself it is not weakness to walk away. When I feel disrespected, I bark back loudly. This is the pride part.

Maybe it's an image thing as well. I mean, I was twice the guy's size. He was a skinny old dude. What was he thinking? Why did he feel so free to blurt out what he did? Wasn't he a little afraid of me? This is the pride issue. Maybe it's a man thing.

Time to let it go. I learned this from a neighbor yesterday who shared a story about a local dog that attacked her dog. I asked what she did about it, and she said she had to let it go. If she can let that incident go, I can let this go as well, despite my desire to beeline to his door, knock loudly and say,

Did you say something to me a few minutes ago? My hearing ain't too good. Why don't you repeat it!

Here's what went through my mind when he said it...

I hear if you increase your medication it helps in situations like this!

Let me guess, you're the cool neighbor on the block!

Ohhhhh...be NICE!


You humans are so uptight!



.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you. My husband is like you. It would have been hard for him. It is better to walk away. That IS NOT weakness. Your dog is better than that man. Keep up the good work with those little ones.

CC

Anonymous said...

haha...what a prick. guys like this all over. dont let it bug you. dogs rule, people are jerks. i have three labs and we walk all over. like u said almost everyone os cool but a few. ive learned to let it go to becuse i want to lay in to them as well. lifes to short
cool blog btw...found it googling
carl in MN

Kraig McNutt said...

This is why people would rather be with dogs than people. Dogs are not judgmental.

Go Zoey!

Looks a lot like a dog I've seen named Chai!