Crazy Ivan: In a New York Minute!


Crazy Ivan was in good form this morning. Yesterday I wake up and pet him only to have him sneeze in my face. Big time YUCK!

This morning he's all amped up, so I get on my bike and ride him, meaning I ride at his pace so I don't have to walk when I'm tired. As soon as I put him in the back yard to put away the leash...BOOM...he jumps the fence.

I race through the house, blow through the screen door and miss him as he raced along the ally.

Now he's headed for the street and bouncing all over like a puppy will, aimlessly running like he's free as a bird. Then the inevitable...a car comes down the street and misses Ivan by a foot. The little old lady behind the wheel smiles and drives off.

If that wasn't enough, Ivan, clueless to what almost happened keep running to a larger intersection. Didn't help that it was trash day and the truck was two houses away.

As I pulled up to him on my bike, calling, he just bounced ahead far enough out of reach. I finally cornered him in the front of a house and the back fence.

One good thing about being older is separating emotions. My embarrassment was one thing and the dog's behavior another. Crossing the lines always leads to immediate, but rarely long-term satisfaction.

I was firm with him and put his leash on, rode home, took him in the back yard and let him know I was mad. Then into the crate for a serious time out.

How do you let a dog know why you're mad at him? He thought we were playing hide n' seek or something. I've only had him two full days. I taught him to sit...but STOP, COME, or HERE does not apply.

I'm tired. It was 5:30am when we went for our ride...and I only did that to get some sleep after he unleashed that energy. Now I can't sleep...I'm still pissed...and upset that he got out.

In a New York Minute!

Only minutes before we went out was Ivan curled up in bed, sleeping like a baby...snoring peacefully.

Total Recall is not just a movie...it is essential I teach Ivan this command and glad this resource is available.


Of course this afternoon he is zonked out...sleeping wherever he desires...like under my computer desk...when I am at the computer. EXCUSE ME!

YOU need something?


I didn't think so!



.

No comments: