Walking in the Fire

Recently there were some bad fires locally...about a mile or so from my house.

I took Albert on a walk in the hills, first time on this route, and it was the exact place of one of the So Cal fires hit.

While the fires were in the hills, I rode my bike into the area on a trail. I was alone with the helicopters in the air, the silence of the trail, and the fires ahead. Pretty errie feeling.

It sounds more dangerous than it was.

Today I walked Albert on the same route we took before the fires.

WOW!

I wish I had my camera. The flames burned much lower than I thought. In fact, they came down into the trail I rode on. How they missed the homes in the hills is beyond me. I give all credit to the LA Fire Dept. They have really mastered the wildfire. The drop planes also do a great job.

It was a Twilight Zone episode. On one side of the trail there runs a creek with trees, the other ash and black soot. The contrast between life and death was stark and immediate.

.

No comments: