So You Wanna Rescue Dogs?-- A Day in the Life

When I tell people I foster dogs almost everyone one of them goes, "Ahhhh, that's so great...I wish I could do that!"

Do you really?

I mean, when I answered a craigslist ad to rescue a dog that was going to be killed--my first foster Sally--I really had no idea what I was doing...and maybe that's a good thing.

It has been six months since I started this and I have just accepted pain...physical pain that is.

This morning I woke and decided to run each dog separately. I wanted to see if there would be any significant behavioral changes with vigorous exercise first thing in the morning.

Then at 7pm I started another round of runs for each dog. They have got to sleep like fat tired lions tonight...right?

No Pain, No...well you know the rest


This bruise was from pounding King George
on the noggin' when he got into a scuffle.

The oil is from Albert running into my bike on a
ride and having to untangle what seemed like
an impossible snag...IN THE DARK!

Of course I lost my Mp3 headphones.
But when I went back later tonight to
look for them, I met the homeowner of
the house Albert allowed me to practice
continual calm leadership.

She was about 75 and we had the most
wonderful conversation. I was holding a
flashlight searching the ground when she pulled
up to her driveway. I'm sure she thought I was
some weirdo.

Did I mention I had a full hood
on that barely showed my face?
Cold night and windy!

Gotta love Albert.
This morning on our first run he switched on me
and got the leash tied into the back wheel.
My leg rammed into the bike pedal.

After I got home with Albert tonight,
I decided I would try to get him outside
without putting George in the bedroom--
a really quick exchange.

BAD IDEA!

George went for Albert and I went for George.
I dove at him and scraped my knees up.

I then put George in the bedroom and ran after
Albert as he fled out the front door.

Pain...what pain? Who's got time for pain?
I had to get Al before a car did.

I don't even know where this bruise came from.
I forgot already.

I created a new strategy allowing all three
dogs to be out at the same time with no
dog in the run behind bars.

George goes to the front of the house on a leash,
Albert and Sally hang in the backyard.

I switch George and Albert to give them each
an opportunity to be in the backyard.

Both of them always want to go for a walk!

The temp has really dropped the past few nights.
Tremendous contrast to the 105 degree temps
just a week ago.

The winds really pick up and blow through my yard.
Last December 24th I had 90mph winds blowing.

Albert sleeps outside and I felt sorry for him
so I positioned both crates next to each other
near the house to decrease any
winds blowing into his house.


On a run today I saw a huge carpet by the trash.
Bingo! A weather blanket!
Like Cesar Millan says,
"You make do with what you have!"


The carpet fit nicely over the top to really
reduce any winds blowing through the crate.


Albert's pad


Big Al just a little wound up after
his second run of the day.

This dog is like a horse...even runs like one.

So there ya go...a day in the life of dog fostering.

Still wanna get involved! :)



I knew Georgie would be down for the count tonight!
Beats sleeping outside on a hard floor in the cold

I figure G has been in dog prison most of his life...
It's time for some comfort...so he gets the couch.

This dog snores LOUD and groans when he moves
like an old man getting a back massage


I call this my Ed Sach line.
For the dog on the run...
.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome! doggie in prada--dont get better than that.

love your blog and what you are doing.

sounds like you had a tough day.

WF in OK

Joe said...

Thanks! The "Prada" has a practical purpose...keeps the flies off Albert and warms him up at night. Of course this was a prototype.

Stop by again!