What a Sweetie!

I honestly didn't think I'd ever find a dog I liked better than Sparky.

Well.................

Let's just say Mocha has made the transition easy!

As I mentioned, when Mocha (formally named Rebel) came into my house, she and Sparky went at it. It got ugly in a pitbull kinda way. Then when I introduced Sally, same thing on a lesser scale. So I was very worried about Mocha.

Let's hear it for consistent TLC!

That's really the secret here with Mocha. I am fortunate she has responded, because Sally has taught me no matter how much consistent TLC, this doesn't mean a dog will respond or come around. Sally still has autistic behavior patterns despite being with her for over three months now. At times, it's as though we just met.

Mocha does not have the energy and intensity of Sparky. With Sparky, we'd drive and she had to hang her head all the way out the window and at times actually tried to jump out. She is all 'extreme sports' behaviorally.

Mocha will approach the open window, but only put her nose close by...and is comfortable sleeping in the passenger seat. Sparky almost never did this unless it was a long ride and she was dead tired...and even then she rested for short periods of time before she stood up and hung out the window again.

I have noticed Mocha responds only to positive messages. She also seems to have a negative reaction to anything waved high in the air like a towel. This tells me she was hit or disciplined with something raised high above her.

The one thing I've tried to establish with the dogs is friendly hands. It is a must they know my hands are not going to harm them, so I establish this immediately with consistent petting and slowly approaching them, letting them smell first, then pet.

This has worked well with Sally. She has no negative reaction to my hands. With Mocha, there is still some work to do. She will cower down at first with a message of, "Do you still love me since the last time we hung out?" She needs constant reassurance.

Mocha is a dog I'd like to have. She is so sweet and UNLIKE that initial meeting we had. Read below about how hungry and thirsty she was.



.

No comments: