Meet Sally!



Sally has had a hard life!

She is a German Shepherd mix puppy that was abandoned and probably really abused by some #%@$#% person. She was in LA and taken to a vet to get fixed. Before that, she was destined for the chamber in a kill shelter. If it weren’t for the good hearted dog rescuers out there, she would be dead.

I was browsing through craigslist this week in the pet section. I NEVER have done this before, but was thinking about getting a cat. My hamster ran away...the third one, so I gave up on the pet thing for a while

As I was browsing, I saw an adoption for a dog close by named Don. He was a cute white mix that needed a home. The rescuer emailed me15 questions to look at. By the time I got to question 10 I knew I wasn’t ready for the commitment of a dog...that is do own a dog the way one should, with respect and dignity. I am too busy right now...so I passed.

I went back to craigslist and saw an ad to help rescue this little puppy in a kill shelter. They only needed someone to take her for a few weeks until they found a place to keep her and nurture back to health.

The next day I was told the little guy wasn’t well and would probably not make it but there was another puppy. Now we're back to Sally.

I picked up a crate, went over to the vet and picked up Sally.

I had an idea of her temperament, but she was more scared than I thought. She wouldn’t walk. Her eyes were dead. She was coiled up in a self-protective ball. I was pissed.

All I could think of was kicking serious Rambo ass on whoever hurt this dog. Then I shifted to Sally. Eventually I got her in the car and home. Getting her out of the car was difficult. She cleaved tenaciously to the floor of my car.

In her crate she felt secure. It’s large so there is plenty of room. I gave her some water and food and a little classical music in the background.

Let the healing begin!

I can't really explain what having this dog has done for me, even these few hours. It taps into my guardian personality.

I will have Sally for several weeks to get her healthy enough for adoption. The gal at the vet clinic said I would end up keeping her. I told her, “Not me…I am good at detaching.” On the way home, about a mile I already knew this was going to be tough.

I'll make updates on her progress.

3 comments:

Jen said...

that's awesome!

I hope you
end up keeping her

post more pics
and her progress!!

Unknown said...

Hello- I am the veterinarian that treat Sally at Williamson County Animal Control - I was just wondering how she is doing - did her injury heal or did she need additional surgery? I hope all is well with both of you!

Anonymous said...

Sally has healed up fine. Thanks! She is alive and well. I'd like to give you props if that's OK on my blog.